Advanced RCC: nivolumab shows benefit even after progression
Access to the full content of this site is available only to registered healthcare professionals.
Register to read more
- 13% of patients with advanced renal cell carcinoma (aRCC) treated beyond progression (TBP) with nivolumab (Opdivo) experiencing ≥30% further decrease in tumor burden.
- Tumor burden reduction was observed in patients who initially responded and then progressed, and patients with stable disease or progressive disease as best overall response.
- Acceptable safety profile was maintained.
Why this matters
- In November 2015, nivolumab became the first immune checkpoint inhibitor approved for aRCC.
- Immunotherapies are associated with tumor flare, with increased tumor burden or new lesions preceding clinical responses.
- This may be mistaken for disease progression and lead to discontinuation.
- 316 patients with aRCC who progressed on nivolumab were included.
- Funding: Bristol-Myers Squibb ...