Asthma: increased risk for severe pneumonia with inhaled corticosteroids
Access to the full content of this site is available only to registered healthcare professionals.
Register to read more
- In patients with asthma, current ICS use was associated with significantly increased risk of being hospitalized for pneumonia, especially with doses ≥500 µg of fluticasone-equivalent per day.
- The risk associated with budesonide (Pulmicort) and fluticasone (Flixotide) were similar.
Why this matters
- It is known that ICS use increases risk for pneumonia in COPD, but findings in patients with asthma have been contradictory.
- The present findings disagree with the conclusions of the only other study that directly assessed ICS and pneumonia risk in asthma.
- The finding of similar risk with budesonide and fluticasone conflict with previous findings of a higher risk with fluticasone.
- Retrospective cohort study evaluated 152,412 patients with asthma between 1990 and 20...