"Blob" and "bagel" signs predict ectopic pregnancy
Access to the full content of this site is available only to registered healthcare professionals.
Register to read more
- 2 signs of ectopic pregnancy (blob and bagel) found to have good sensitivity and specificity for diagnosis of ectopic pregnancy.
Why this matters
- With the use of transvaginal ultrasound (TVS), ectopic pregnancy can be diagnosed earlier and is the gold standard for diagnosis.
- Language describing ectopic pregnancy and pregnancy of unknown location (PUL) is often confusing and inconsistent.
- Probable ectopic pregnancies were described as "blob" (72.5%) or "bagel" (27.5%); these signs had a 95% positive predictive value for ectopic pregnancy.
- PUL eventually diagnosed as ectopic pregnancy (24 blob and 19 bagel).
- 51% of all blob diagnoses and 59% of bagel diagnoses had surgery and positive pathology resulting in an 89.9% sensitivity, 99.5% specificity for blob and 83.3% sensitivity, 99.6% specifici...