- Closed-loop insulin systems are effective for daytime and overnight use.
Why this matters
- Continuous glucose monitoring (CGM) devices combined with insulin pumps provide real time monitoring and correction of blood glucose levels around the clock.
- The performance of closed-loop continuous glucose monitoring CGM) / insulin pump systems and their ability to prevent hypoglycemia was highlighted in two studies.
- The first investigated the safety and feasibility of a new hybrid system in 12 children (average age nine).
- This trial consisted of a 36-h, inpatient, closed-loop assessment with meals ranging from 30 to 90 grams of carbohydrates and limited physical activity.
- The second study analyzed if exercise-related hypoglycemia can be reduced through a system that responds automatical...