We screened more than 919 studies on Dementia this month. These are the most important.
Symptom of kidney disease may also be risk factor for dementia
- A meta-analysis including 32 studies and 240,000 patients found that albuminuria was associated with a 35% increased risk for cognitive impairment and dementia, particularly vascular dementia (OR, 1.96) and clinical Alzheimer's disease (OR, 1.37).
- Clinicians may want to test for albuminuria as a part of assessing a patient's risk for dementia.
Some antidepressants may cut dementia risk
- A retrospective analysis of 90,000 depressed patients showed that those taking tricyclic and tetracyclic antidepressants had a reduced risk pf developing dementia.
- Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors and serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors showed no significant association with dementia risk.
Dementia: donazepil+choline alphoscerate helps manage symptoms
Source: J Alzheimers Dis
- Behavioral and psychological symptoms of dementia (BPSD) are common and distressing problems for both patients and caregivers.
- In a study of 113 patients with Alzheimer's disease, donepezil taken together with choline alphoscerate helped manage BPSD.
Other recent Vitals: