- Sofosbuvir (SOF; Sovaldi)-based regimens are safe and effective for HCV/HIV-coinfected patients who are liver transplant (LT) candidates or recipients.
- When combined with an NS5A inhibitor, clearance rates topped 90%.
Why this matters
- Pre-LT therapy should be considered for HIV-coinfected patients because of high wait-list mortality.
- Multicenter Italian study of 48 HIV/HCV-coinfected patients receiving SOF-based therapy before (n=24) and after (n=24) LT for decompensated cirrhosis or hepatocellular carcinoma.
- 69% were treatment-experienced; HCV-1 was most common (60%).
- Primary endpoint was sustained virologic response at 12 wk posttherapy (SVR12).
- Funding: None.
- Suboptimal SOF + ribavirin (RBV) was used in 19 patients; the remainder received SOF/ledipasvir (Harvoni) o...