- Bictegravir (BIC) + FTC/TAF and dolutegravir (DTG) + FTC/TAF both demonstrated high virologic response rates at W24 that were maintained at W48.
- No treatment-emergent resistance was detected in the BIC+FTC/TAF arm through W48.
Why this matters
- Because of their potency and safety, integrase strand transfer inhibitors (INSTIs) are widely recommended initial HIV-1 treatments in most major treatment guidelines.
- Most subjects were male, had asymptomatic HIV infection, with median HIV-1 RNA 4.4-4.5 log10; baseline characteristics were balanced between arms.
- Virologic success (HIV-1 RNA <50 c/mL) at W24 was 97% for the BIC arm and 94% for the DTG arm, and at W48 was 97% and 91%, respectively.
- Investigators at Brigham and Women's Hospital in Bosto...