- Long-term metformin treatment reduces heart disease risk in adults with type 1 diabetes (T1D).
Why this matters
- Metformin may be an effective, inexpensive long-term strategy worthy of adding to an individual’s diabetes care plan.
- Researchers from REMOVAL, a multi-center, international clinical trial, enrolled patients at 23 centers across the UK, Australia, Canada, Denmark, and the Netherlands.
- They Investigated if three-y treatment with metformin reduces heart disease in 428 middle-aged adults with longstanding T1D (average 33 y) and three or more risk factors for CVD.
- Trial participants were assigned interventions of either oral metformin treatment (two Glucophage 500mg tablets up to ...