Male breast cancer: no link between histologic grade, OS
Access to the full content of this site is available only to registered healthcare professionals.
Register to read more
Why this matters
- Unlike female breast cancer, higher histological grade of male breast cancer is not associated with OS.
- Other histological features are associated with OS, similar to female breast cancer.
- Findings suggest more research is needed to enable risk stratification of male patients, which affects treatment decisions.
- 1483 male breast cancer specimens were collected from 1990 to 2010 through the European Organisation for Research and Treatment of Cancer (EORTC).
- Central pathology review focused on histological subtype, grade, mitotic activity index (MAI), presence of a fibrotic focus, and density of tumor-infiltrating lymphocytes (TILs).
- Histological characteristics were correlated with clinical outcome.
- Funding: Breast C...