We screened 811 studies on Pain and Opioid Abuse this month. These are the most important.
Vaginal delivery: remifentanil a safe, effective alternative to epidurals
Source: J Clin Anesth
- In women undergoing a vaginal delivery, remifentanil (Ultiva) in patient-controlled analgesia may be a safe and effective alternative to the gold standard, epidural analgesia.
- Alternatives to epidural analgesia are needed because of clinical contraindications or availability.
Cochrane review: only weak evidence supports tramadol for cancer pain
Source: Cochrane Database Syst Rev
- There is only limited, very low quality evidence favoring tramadol (Ultram) for cancer pain.
- There are no studies of tramadol's analgesic effects in children with cancer.
- The Cochrane review concludes that the current place of tramadol as step 2 in the World Health Organization (WHO) analgesic ladder is uncertain.
- The WHO ladder serves as the gold standard for pain management.
- Tramadol is a desirable opioid because of its low risk for abuse.
Persistent pain linked to accelerated memory decline, increased risk for dementia in elderly
Source: JAMA Intern Med