Pain clinics: tighter regulations spur rise in heroin abuse
Access to the full content of this site is available only to registered healthcare professionals.
Register to read more
Why this matters
- Enactment of state laws in Kentucky tightening pain clinic regulation and monitoring of opioid prescriptions led to less prescription opioid abuse and more heroin abuse.
- Tighter regulation of prescription opioids has unintended consequences for the opioid epidemic.
- This was a secondary analysis of drug treatment clients (n=52,360) in Kentucky to determine self-reported illicit drug use trends (2010-2013) and to make projections through 2018.
- Funding: Source not disclosed.
- From 2010 to 2013, there were significant reductions in prescri...