- Prediabetes is a risk factor for congestive heart failure (CHF) among middle-aged but not older adults.
Why this matters
- CHF is a well-recognized complication of diabetes, but there is little evidence of an association between milder forms of glycemia and CHF.
- Data from the CANHEART cohort, created from administrative health databases in Ontario, was used to examine whether prediabetes is a risk factor for CHF hospitalization.
- Adults who aged ≥40 y on January 1, 2008, and had ≥1 glucose value within three y of baseline and no previous cardiovascular admissions were eligible for inclusion (N=1,415,241).
- Overall, the study included 111,826 individuals with pred...