- Radiation therapy (RT) was not associated with overall increased risk for second cancer (SC).
- SC risk was increased with RT-only, but not with RT after radical prostatectomy (RP+RT).
Why this matters
- Previous reports have provided conflicting results.
- 10-y SC incidence was 15.9%, 13.2%, and 10.5% for RT-only, RP+RT, and RP-only (P<.0001).
- Incidence of colon cancer was 1.7%, 2.0%, and 1.1%, respectively.
- Rectal cancer occurred in 1.1%, 0.3%, and 0.6%.
- Bladder cancer occurred in 2.7%, 1.5%, and 1.1%.
- Nonmelanoma skin cancer (NMSC) occurred in 2.1%, 1.6%, and 1.2%.
- Incidence of lung cancer was 2.2% with RT-only and 1.2% with RP regardless of postoperative RT.
- Age, T- and N-category and treatment were predictors for SC development.
- RP+RT and RT-only patients were at higher risk ...