PTC prognosis linked to CHI3L1 expression
Access to the full content of this site is available only to registered healthcare professionals.
Register to read more
- Overexpression of chitinase 3-like 1 (CHI3L1) is associated with metastasis and poor survival in patients with papillary thyroid carcinoma (PTC).
Why this matters
- Better biomarkers are needed for PTC, and CHI3L1 is known to be elevated in other cancer types.
- PTC tissue had higher CHI3L1 expression than adjacent noncancerous tissue (P<.001).
- CHI3L1 expression correlated with tumor size (P=.0001), lymph node metastasis (P<.0001), distant organ metastasis (P<.0001), extrathyroid invasion (P=.0022), vascular invasion (P=.0004), and TNM stage (P=.0001).
- High CHI3L1 expression was associated with reduced OS (P=.0050), DFS (P=.0001), lymph node recurrence-free survival (P<.0001), and distant recurrence-free survival (P=.0007).
- High CHI3L1 expression was independently associated with DFS in multivariate analysis (HR, 11.269; P<.001).
- 332 patients with PTC were analyzed by immunohistochemistry and PCR for CHI3L expression and its assoc...