Self-administered first trimester medical termination acceptable to women
Access to the full content of this site is available only to registered healthcare professionals.
Register to read more
- Self-management of early first trimester termination of pregnancy (TOP) is well tolerated and accepted by women.
Why this matters
- WHO guidelines on TOP includes the option of home self-management.
- Most women from this study saw self-management of early first trimester TOP as positive and acceptable. However, there was a range of experiences.
- Physicians need to provide accurate information and expectation-setting.
- Themes around self-management:
- Surprise that self-management was an option.
- Self-administration perceived as not problematic by most.
- Some women desired the privacy and comfort of home while some preferred to be at the health center.
- Themes around expectations:
- Most felt they were appropriately informed and prepared.
- Most appreciated having a telephone contact if needed.