Systematic review: should you offer HIV self-tests to your patients?
Access to the full content of this site is available only to registered healthcare professionals.
Register to read more
- Offering or making available HIV self-tests (HIVST) to patients could increase likelihood of testing.
Why this matters
- Many of those most at risk for HIV, especially young people, have not been tested for HIV.
- In 3 randomized controlled trials (RCTs), HIVST doubled HIV testing (P=.001).
- Studies where women received HIVST for themselves and their male partners also increased likelihood of testing.
- Men who have sex with men took an average of 2 more HIV tests in a year via self-testing than traditional ...