Tooth loss common in diabetes
Access to the full content of this site is available only to registered healthcare professionals.
Register to read more
- Diabetes-focused visits should include a discussion of the importance of good dental care, with particular emphasis on regular dental flossing.
- 202 patients with diabetes presenting for routine clinic visits were evaluated via questionnaire.
- They had a mean age of 59 y, diabetes duration 16 y, hemogloblin A1c 7.7%, and 49.5% were female.
- Data were collected on demographics, dental history, duration, and control and complications of diabetes.
- Most (88%) had survey responses suggestive of periodontal disease, in contrast to 46% prevalence of periodontal disease in the general population.
- 15% had lost all their teeth compared with an estimated 4% in the general population.
- Only 6% of the patients with diabetes still had ...